Chilled beams is the world’s most recent technique for in-ceiling heating and cooling applications.
Simply based on a horizontal air coil with room air induced over it by a combination of buoyancy and induction air forces, the system’s benefits are;
- A virtually silent system,
- No moving parts, no fans,
- No routine maintenance within the office space,
- Low ceiling space requirement (about 220 mm),
- Can be either exposed or ceiling concealed,
- Most efficient system available,
- No condensate drainage,
- Very good zone control capability,
- Can be installed in a raking ceiling.
- Can easily substitute conventional 2 or 4 pipe chilled water systems in existing buildings and
- Now chilled beams are fabricated in New Zealand.
Pacific Consultants (now known as MEPS Building Engineers) have to date completed two projects incorporating chilled beams;
- Recently, the new Mainfreight Terminal building and offices in Christchurch and
- The Willis Centre, Wellington. (Merit Award- ACENZ Innovate Awards of Excellence)